Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's Better to Look Up

Things haven't been the greatest lately. I got in a car accident on Saturday (which also happened to be my fault), I had to give my car to my dad (because I totaled his car in the accident), and then I haven't had a huge amount of motivation this week (even though I have to study for my mid-term coming up). It just hasn't been peachy, and Brady leaves in six days. I just haven't felt like myself this week.

But then on Tuesday, my best friend came down to Provo and convinced me to go donate blood with her. We laughed and talked about everything. It was just like old times. (No, literally it was. We used to donate blood together all the time) Her boy is also on a mission, and so it was really nice to have someone who knows how I feel right now. But anyways, after she left, I just felt so much better. I felt like things were so much better, and I knew I could keep going. She reminded me of the important things and helped me forget things that don't matter.

Then on Wednesday while I was waiting for one of my classes to start, I texted Brady and he asked me how my day was. After I told him, he texted back with just a whole bunch of sweet things. It's like he just knew that I needed it and he just helped me see the positive things about my day instead of the negative ones. Which also included Brady coming down and taking me to dinner. Hooray for Wednesday date night!

So after having a hard time seeing the good in things this week, I was reminded of one of my favorite talks from the October 2011 conference. Elder Carl B. Cook tells the story of how he felt so overwhelmed after his first week of being a general authority. He talks about how he was standing in an elevator leaving the church office building and someone asked him what he was looking at? He recognized the voice as President Monson, when he replied that he was looking at nothing, President Monson said while pointing upwardly "It is better to look up!"

It just reminded me to look up and keep my eyes on the most important things. I can't change what happened last Saturday. I can't change the fact that I don't have a car this week. I can't change that i'm overwhelmed and can't handle it all. But I can look up. And I know that when we do look up, and we keep the eternal perspective in mind, things are so much better. I know that it's these times when I feel like this, that I just need to look up and ask my Father in Heaven for a little help. And it's when I do that, I know things get better. I know that when we let Christ into our lives he can heal our broken, hurting hearts. And I'm grateful for that knowledge.

So here's my goal for the next little while....look up! Stop focusing on the bad things that have been happening lately, focus on the good. I'm so blessed and I'm so grateful for all of the amazing things in my life. I have an amazing best friend, I have an amazing boyfriend, I have an amazing family (who are the most supportive family in the world!), and I have an amazing Father in Heaven who is looking out for me and is always there for me. I'm just going to focus on the good for now....well i'm going to try at least. That is more than just peachy.




No comments:

Post a Comment